Rainy Day Ramblings asks us to discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog.
This week’s question is: Do You Procrastinate Writing Book Reviews?
Short answer: NO!
What does procrastination look like for a book blogger?
- You read a book you ADORED and finished it super quickly!!!
- BUT… you’re now overwhelmed with how much you enjoyed it.
- It was so new and original and you felt like you were embraced by all your family and friends.
- It’s way too daunting to even TRY to encapsulate how great this read was.
- So you tell yourself you won’t read anything because 1) you’re not over your recent read, and 2) how hard is it to review a book you adored? Not hard at all. You will write the review before you begin a probably subpar story…
- 3 weeks later: you haven’t read anything new, you’re still not over your ‘recent’ read, you haven’t even started writing the review, and everytime you go on Goodreads or Twitter, the GUILT INTENSIFIES.
- 1 week even later: you finally do it. You write the review. Aaaand you’ve forgotten all the special moments that made the book Five Stars™️. Congrats. Here’s to another review that you’re not super proud of. Oh well, you found a new fave book!
- And it sucked ass.
- It’s time to write this review.
- But wait, all my friends enjoyed this book.
- Did I even read the book?
- This mutual said it changed her life… wait, when was THAT beautiful quote said???
- Maybe I should reread this and Thi S TIME I WI L L like It!!
- *thinks about reading it again* … Yeah no this isn’t going to work.
- *goes onto Goodreads*.
- *is distracted by interesting looking books for 4hrs*.
- *…never writes the review*
- 3 years later: *sees a friend review this book* Oh hey I remember reading that book! Did I like it? I remember there was heaps of hype. Aw, remember when X genre was all the rage? Let me just refresh my thoughts by going… to..
- GOd damnit.
- THere’s no review!
- *rating: 2/5 stars* welp okay not bringing THIS book up to my friend.
Maybe these two are just me, but in my experience of reviewing books for the past 4 years, I fall into these two the most.
If not: I always review them. Anything I’m not passionate about = instant review. It doesn’t hurt to just get it over and done with.
My method is THE SECOND I finish the book, to hop onto Goodreads and review it. Make it pretty later, if need be. THEN I’m allowed to pick up a new book.
Of course, this doesn’t always work…